Applicants for all positions must be or become fully vaccinated against Covid-19 if selected for hire. Valid medical or religious exemptions will be considered but serial Covid-19 testing will be required to maintain employment.
Provides basic breastfeeding information and encouragement to pregnant and breastfeeding Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) clients. Facilitates referrals and follow-up to appropriate professional staff when breastfeeding complications occur. Promotes breastfeeding in the community as the optimal way to feed an infant.
- Provides information about the benefits and basics of normal breastfeeding. Utilizes basic evidenced-based breastfeeding techniques and strategies to overcome common breastfeeding barriers.
- Utilizes Loving Support curriculum to communicate with mothers, providing education and support with breastfeeding during each stage of lactation.
- Utilizes participant-centered education to assist clients in identifying goals and addresses client concerns and barriers to breastfeeding.
- Evaluates and communicates the impact of early formula supplementation on milk supply, taking into consideration the mother’s breastfeeding intention.
- Provides referrals with difficult breastfeeding questions to Registered Dietitian and International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) staff. Provides referrals to outside entities for medical or social concerns mothers have, outside of peer scope of practice.
- Maintains client charts in appropriate electronic charting systems per program guidelines. Maintains confidentiality of all client information.
- Maintains awareness of community demographics, resources, and needs.
- Performs breastfeeding education, promotion and outreach activities in clinic and in the community.
- Education: High School Diploma or General Education Diploma (GED).
- Experience: Two years’ customer service experience. Previous experience with breastfeeding per federal and state contract requirements. Two years’ experience working with mothers and infants preferred.
- Knowledge/Skills/Abilities Required or Preferred: English/ Spanish bilingual proficiency in written and verbal communication is preferred. Must demonstrate the ability to communicate at level 9 on the ALTA language proficiency scale to receive bilingual differential pay. Effective verbal, written and listening communication skills. Ability to prioritize work and handle a variety of tasks simultaneously, with frequent interruptions. Ability to effectively interact with women and staff in a professional manner. Basic proficiency with Microsoft Office and Electronic Health Records (EHR). Basic knowledge about appropriate breastfeeding concepts and practices desired.
We serve more than 181,000 patients across 25 medical clinics, 14 dental clinics, 10 pharmacies, and 64 program sites in two states. We are Level 3 Certified as a Patient-Centered Medical Home (PCMH). With integrated services including medical, dental, pharmacy, orthodontia, primary care nutritional counseling, autism screening, and primary care behavioral health, YVFWC’s patient-centered model of care offers patients the full spectrum of care and shelter assistance, energy assistance, weatherization, HIV and AIDS counseling and testing, home visits, and four mobile medical/dental clinics.
Working at YVFWC
Working in our organization means being the passionate champion for those who have no voice. It means having the opportunity to work with underserved populations and with peers committed to the same work.
At Farm Workers Clinic
- We will consistently trust one another to work for the common good.
- We will foster integrity by demonstrating ethical behavior and insisting on doing what we say we will do.
- We will demonstrate transparency by being candid and truthful no matter the risk.
- We will create partnerships to strengthen ourselves and our community.
- We will fight for just treatment for all individuals.
- We will let joy in.
- We have the courage to be an agent of change and refuse anything short of excellence.
Our mission celebrates diversity. We are committed to equal opportunity employment.